An e-Journal ACTIVITY: Models and Mentors in My Life
- My Models and Mentors
List the most important role models and mentors in your life. Then describe what their positive modeling and mentoring have meant to your development.
Role Models and Mentors
|1 Ms. Ma. Lorna Christy Yap||I’ve gained so much insights from my model/mentor. She used to be teaching in high-school way back 2013 after graduation in college. I really admire her enthusiasm and abilities when it comes to handling students. She opened my eyes to various causes that I learned to appreciate and know. She is currently working as Medical technologist in General Santos. Overall, I see her as someone who is willing to share skills, knowledge and expertise in the best way she could.|
|2 Prof. Dae Hyuk Lee||He used to compete in a reality show in one of the biggest network in the country. Aside from having a limelight or showbiz, he is also teaching as professor in one of the well-known universities in Manila. Seeing him exposed himself to both of these worlds just tells more about him that it is always good to challenge yourself to learn something new every day. I see him as someone who demonstrates a positive attitude and act as a positive role model for everyone who look up to him.|
|3 Ms. Christine May Estorque-Perion||She used to be working in one of the biggest call centers in Cebu as fraud analyst. As of the moment, she is a teacher and is married to a clergy-man. I really admire how passionate she is in teaching that prompt me to follow her footsteps. Just like her, having the same sentiments about teaching made me decide to choose this profession and I am glad that I am choosing this now. I really admire how she values so much the opinions and initiatives of others.|
|4 Ms. May Miro Nuenay||She is currently working as para legal assistant in one of the insurance company in Makati. She also used to teach in college while studying law at the same time. She has contributed significantly and immensely in my life when it comes to reaching one’s goal and help me on the proper steps on how to do it. Also, she is respected by colleagues and employees in all levels of the field.|
|5 Ms. Angelique Cabrieto||We used to work together in one of the banks in Makati. At the moment, she is a Human Resource Manager in one of the company in Taguig. Her perspective in Psychology opened much understanding and realizations on my part. She is very effective when it comes to giving critical feedback without making you feel judged and embarrassed of yourself. By observing her more, I believe she values ongoing learning and growth in the field.|
- The Type of Role Model I Want to Be for My Students.
Describe which characteristics and behaviors you believe are the most important for you to model for your students.
- Someone who demonstrates a positive attitude and act as a positive role model for everyone who looks up to me
- Someone who is willing to share skills, knowledge and expertise in the best way I could.
- Someone who values so much the opinions and initiatives of others.
- Someone who is respected by colleagues and employees in all levels of the field.
- Someone who values ongoing learning and growth in the field.
- How I Will Incorporate Models and Mentors in My Classroom?
Describe a systematic plan for bringing models and mentors into your students’ lives in one or more domain(s) you plan to teach, such as math, English, science, music, and so on.
As a teacher, the following will be my schematic plans to incorporate models and mentors in my class.
- I will ask them on what are their dreams and aspirations in life.
- I will help them assess effectively about knowing themselves by relating it to the people/character that they admire and ask them the reason why.
- I will let them identify the characteristics that make them admire such person/character.
- I will make them share it to the person next to him/her the people/character that inspires them.
- Lastly, I will allow each one of them to devise a plan on how they will be able to achieve their dreams in life.
- Who Will Be My Education Mentor? What Would My Ideal Education Mentor Be Like?
Do you have someone in mind who might serve as an education mentor when you become a teacher? If so, describe the person.
We used to be classmates in college and even up to this very day, we are still friends and communicating each other. She is no other than Ms. Christine May Estorque-Perion. She is currently teaching in one of the public high school in Siquijor and knowing that she left a wonderful corporate job in Cebu in exchange of teaching students made me admire her even more. She just inspires me to do well in learning the fundamentals of teaching and I couldn’t even agree more when she said that “teaching is fun and fulfilling experience at the same time”. She is one lady who knows the value of education in the lives of everybody and how significant it is to get an education. She is idealistic but realistic at the same time. She lives by her principles and never let allow her insecurities swallow her in times of trials and difficulties. She is a teacher that one can look up to and she opened herself so much that it is not possible to admire her because of that. I am just lucky that she choose to serve the country and students of hers are so lucky because they her as their teacher.
What would your ideal education mentor be like?
For me, an ideal educator is someone who teaches with a purpose.